Sunday 5 March 2017

The bus driver just offered me his pastry...



It's all been happening this week, but then I don't think there has been a time when it hasn't been happening.
I shall warn you all now this isn't the light-hearted Lucy blog you have been following so far, it's been a hard week!

Exciting workshops, moving accommodation, Genie magic on the bus, becoming exhausted and poorly, sad news from the village, nearly tripping down the stairs because of my baggy trousers, slapping my washing on the rocks and early morning yoga.
Let me explain...



After being busy last week and my trip to Bangalore, come Monday morning I  was so physically and mentally exhausted, but It didn't take full effect until the afternoon, when we were shopping in Vellore for materials for the boys hostel and my body just crumbled. I won't go into detail.
For those who know me, I don't get ill. I'm not an ill person, and if I ever am I soldier on. I tried to rest whenever I could, which wasn't much. My body was not happy! What kept me going was the kids and knowing that a chilled weekend was on the way.
I'm writing this, because most of my blogs have been rather positive, but I wanted to show you that we all have weaknesses, and we shouldn't be afraid of them. Life is not always full of colour!

But enough of the sob story,




There have been positive times throughout the week, such as the workshops. Glue is involved now, next week, paint. I am just introducing one thing at a time. It's been a sticky leafy collage week. I try to keep the workshops for each group the same. It's interesting to review and compare, to see if it really is a success.




I had my first workshop with the girls at Arni. 16 girls came along, that's nearly all of the girls in the school. Unfortunately school suddenly had to finish early due to a no show of teachers. So the workshop was cut short. We will continue next week. We are just decorating our initials to start with. Using the masking tape technique.



I am now in new accommodation in Gandhi Nagar. Living with a older couple and the mother who is 96 years old! Amazing! I am closer to shops, closer to the office, can walk the block. In Kasam, there was no where to really take a leisurely walk. I have some peace and independence. The lady is going to be my cinema buddy! Plus there is an incredible iron and wooden bed swing right outside my room.


The roof with a view


As I was admiring the view from the roof top terrace, I tripped over my own trouser legs as I walked down the stairs. It was a hair raising moment, but I managed to keep straight.
On the roof terrace I can do my washing. It's all done by hand. I'm sure any Indian women probably cringed at my washing technique. I did slap it on the stone a few times, don't really know why, but I'm copying them. My washing came out clean and in one piece, so I can't have done it too badly.


My washing area.

I have probably mentioned before that I feel very comfortable in India. It doesn't take a lot to shock me. Even the man sleeping in the middle of the road didn't shock me, that much.
Up in the hills we took a detour to the school we visited last week to drop off provisions. We met a family with a baby. Long story short. The mother had had a fit and went into early labour. 7 Months. The baby survived, but the mother died. She was 19. The father had disappeared. So the grandmother of the baby and the young uncle were in desperate need of help. It broke my heart then, it breaks my heart to think of this now. We all know that in 3rd world countries it is common for women to die in childbirth. But how can you relate? To meet the immediate family affected is something that will be with me forever, I've seen the pain in their eyes. Thanks to Seb's Project the baby is now in hospital.


More Jaggery

And one last story this week to let you know I do still believe in magic...

I was sitting, waiting on the bus at the station. People come on at the front of the bus and leave at the back, selling samosas, bananas, snacks. I sat near the front in my own world, thoughts drowned out by booming Tamil music...
Then he appeared, a man dressed in white, a turban and traditional Indian skirt. I catch sight of him just as a poof of sandalwood smoke fills the bus. Before I have had time to take this in properly, he has disappeared. For everyone else this is normal, but for me a Genie has just passed through my life! It definitely felt magical.






1 comment:

  1. What a week I should think you are physically and mentally exhausted . ! You are doing an amazing job I am so very proud of you . You'll be able to save money on s washing machine when you get home !! Love you loads mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete