Monday 27 February 2017

I've been here 1 month!

It's been a none stop week here in India! There had been little rest and lots of art.
It's been a tiring week, and due to temperatures rising, I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a week. My eyes are feeling constantly heavy. I've also had a dusty cough all week. Good job I am sun-kissed or I might come across quite scary. Like this tiger...
 
 
 
My Mondays are spent a Kasam. 2 workshops. Usually result in abit of mayhem. Trying to control a group of 30 in a different language can be quite a challenge. They are getting better! And they do produce some exciting work.

Tuesday and Wednesday. Both days are spent at Arni.
The kids here need some inspiration in their lives. We have started to transform an empty classroom into a colourful art room.
I have been practising art room rules this week. For example, lining up before and after class. Trying to keep them alittle calm. They begin quietly, then as they leave high fives appear out of nowhere.
 
 
Welcome to Arni's new Art Room
 
 
 
 
There are some kids at Arni, that I would happily hire as my assistant. They are are very respectable and helpful. I had a bunch of them wanting to help me sharpen all of the pencils the other morning.
I have introduced 'duck,duck,goose.' Although adapting it Indian style... 'Cow, cow, mosquito.' Being the novelty, I was chosen many times to be the mosquito. I had to run around the circle again and again, it was very hot, but absolutely brilliant.
 
A day trip up to village number 3. Another bumpy 2 hour ride. This time I did bump my head on the metal part of the jeep roof! Ouch!
You can't imagine the experience. I could take a photo or a video. But firstly I can't safely get the camera out. Secondly I can't record the sticky dusty heat in the back of the jeep. The pain on your hands holding onto the straps and hot tarpaulin, resulting in blisters. Not really able to enjoy the mountain view due to the rolling and tumbling across the rocky road. I almost fall out of the jeep in a fluster when we arrive. And the most beautiful, happy faces greet us when we reach the top, they are worth the journey.
 
 
 
 
And what an amazing workshop. Halfway through I was thinking what am I doing!? The classroom was complete carnage. Scissors had created paper confetti filling the classroom floor, I cringed as the scissors also were being waved around even after my scissor safety talk. The glue area was kind of under control. But I also saw how engaged they were in the workshop.
We had gone around the village and school, taking rubbings, chopping them up into shapes and making a massive group collage.
I had suggested making a flower, but their pure enjoyment of just cutting and sticking resulted in a wacky abstract collage.

 
 
 
 
 
The village also gave me a new experience of a toilet. You ask me, and I'll explain.

I've been to Bangalore this weekend, visiting friends. I caught a double decker train, again a whole new experience.
Lower on the way and upper on my return. Katpadi to Bangalore, the scenery transitions from palm trees, flat lands, fields, mountains, rocky hills and forests. A beautiful journey.
We ate a lot of food in such a small space of time. The really love to make sure they keep their guests full!


Phew! Ok! This week coming looks busy too! I'd better go!
Pakalam! See you later!

 






No comments:

Post a Comment