Sunday 12 March 2017

What a difference a week makes!



I feel better and rested, which means I can eat all this amazing food which I am presented with for breakfasts and dinners. My Indian mother really is a brilliant cook!



It has been a messy workshop week. The messy times started at the boys hostel on Monday night. I kitted the first group of 11 boys, aged 10-11, with aprons, gloves and brushes. The wall was painted white as well as a few spots of white paint on their heads. I didn't think anything of it, asking them to go down and wash their hands and brushes. By the time I got out to the taps, all of the boys were completely covered from head to toe in white paint. And the paint was proving difficult to remove. So half of the workshop was painting and half of the workshop was bathing. I couldn't help but smile at this. It really is a learning curve, not just for the kids, but for me as well.




I read an article recently about the benefits of process arts.
“For children, process arts is where we want to begin, introducing them to materials and techniques with an attitude of play and discovery.”


And I reflected this when the kids got messy at Arni this week. We got paint crazy with finger painting and printed butterflies. Again I thought I have created carnage. As I stood watching paint be throw around the room splattering on the paper and the kids, one student said. “Lucy Acaa,(older sister) everyone is having fun.' I really appreciated these few words.




The Seb's team headed to a new school that has opened down the road in Gandhi Nagar. It is a school for children with learning disabilities. Opened by a mother who herself has a daughter with severe disabilities. The mother learnt all the skills she needs to look after her daughter. Spending years in training, and has now started this school to help other children. It's so inspiring. There are currently about 6 children here. 


We took card, paper and colours to the school, and explored how they deal with using these materials. There were only 3 children this day. We did colouring, drew round their hands and made masks. The joy in their faces was a delight. With laughter making us all feel happy.
We are in discussions about making this a regular thing.




6 Indian men, 1 English woman, 1 Jeep.
That is the title of Saturdays program. I squished into the jeep with teachers, organic farming entrepreneurs, drivers and a holy father. Up we went to the Jawadhi hills, in between us we had rucksacks, bags of onions and chillies and a sack of rice.
I was invited as a guest, for the organic farming talk. I brought Mayde (flour) and salt to make salt dough with the children. I held this workshop whilst the adults were in discussions.
Salt dough is simple. Salt dough is fun. Salt dough is amazing. 


We mixed the dough together, and the kids made faces, animals and shapes. Then left to dry in the sun. They loved it. And it turned out that the stray dogs loved it too! A couple of dogs made a quick escape with a model. They must have been really starving to eat that! Then very thirsty. 



I do walk a lot here, to and from schools and offices. It's one way to keep active, but when the temperature currently peaks to 37 degrees, it can be risky business. So to protect myself from the sun, I am now the proud owner of a new sky blue umbrella with a rabbit on it. And it gets better... with an attached whistle! I know, I know, I always have been one to set the trend!
As the heat in the day makes it impossible to do any kind of exercise. I now attend 7am yoga 3 times a week. I have given my instructor a challenge... to make this girl bendy!
Oooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!



No comments:

Post a Comment