Monday 6 February 2017

A late lack of internet Sunday


Dancing in the Hills
 
 
This morning I stood outside my room. It was 8am and I had just eaten some breakfast. I soaked up the magical moment of calm which fell across the grounds. The children having Sunday service in the chapel resulted in a silent ecstasy. One little girl played with a cup in the taps, whilst the dogs and puppies took their turn to enjoy the peace too. Running freely without being pestered. I step into my room to get ready for the day. My ears then fill with the sound of children ready for the day.


It's been quite a week, as I try to organise my timetable and life here in India. Art materials are purchased and I've enough paper to wrap a house. My first 2 classes are on Monday, tomorrow at King's School just down the road. I think I'm ready.
 
The walk to Kings School

I've had Tamil lessons, learnt the bus routes and how to catch a shared auto through town. My timetable splits across 3 different schools. One school I can take a 10minute walk along the country road. Another school, the bus. And the tribal hill schools, by jeep or motorbike.

The buses stop for only a few seconds. You have to pretty much run and jump to get on. Tickets cost from about 5p-10p. And although most journeys involve standing. They do have Tamil movies playing.

Meeting the school children from one of the Jawadhu Schools

Friday brought me real happiness, as we took the jeep into the Jawadhu Hills. 2 hours up the hills on the bumpiest road. Now, I have experienced bumpy roads and rural and poor communities in Nepal, but this was in a league of it's own. I flew off my seat at times. Once we reached the school at the top of the hill, my heart did swell with joy. The happiest and most sweet children. I think bringing art up here will be a really positive experience for everyone.
 



I've tried tasty foods, Tamil Nadu food has a spicy kick. Cooling yogurt is the best way to cool down the taste buds. One of my favourite times of day is tea time. Sweet, milky chai. I've enjoyed a mixture of both sweet and savoury snacks. There is a bakery here, it's actually better than many bakeries I've visited in England. And i'm quite a cake queen! One cake I have been given reminded me of a cake my boyfriend brought from an off licence in Brighton. Perhaps this is the original source. Anyway enough about food!

Making Jaggery. They made us fresh, sweet, warm sugarcane juice.

In other news, the daytime peaks to 30degrees. There are 3 stages to the weather in Tamil Nadu. Hot, Hotter and Hottest. Apparently we are in the hot stage.

I sang the hokey pokey with nursery and suddenly realise how long it is when I am the only one who knows the words. But for them we could have kept going till bedtime.


I've walked under a monkey on a cable who went 'BRRRR'. I've learnt mosquitoes like to bite my bottom. I've found a big juicy ant in my dinner. I looked at my feet in the office, thinking wow they have tanned quickly, only to realise it is dirt. Ridden around Katpadi on the back of a moped, with dirt, dust and sun blasting into my eyes. I have since realised the importance of carrying my sunglasses everywhere. I enjoy bucket washes, squatting by the tap throwing water everywhere. This is especially good when I feel like I am covered in a layer of sweat and dust! Nice!


Anyway! Let the art workshops begin!





 Eunice playing around with my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment