Sunday 25 June 2017

Good Morning!

 The rain falls during some evenings, bringing the temperature down and clearing the air, which means I can spend more time on the rooftop without melting and burning like incense. The goats eat posters and notebooks, and the cows seemed to have doubled in numbers, with many a calf trotting around town.


I am quite the local here now. I wave into the shops I regularity visit. Acquaintances and strangers on mopeds or foot shout 'Good Morning” Whatever time of day! I love when I am head home at 6pm and someone wishes me a good morning.


Lizard spotting whilst eating ice cream.

Monday morning had an odd feeling about it and sitting on the bus arguing with the conductor about my ticket was not something I really enjoyed. I was paying for 2 tickets, one for me and one for Sam. I don't believe this young conductor had ever seem someone like me in real life before. He was a very stunning man, but gave me the most intense and quite frightening stare. When I gave him my 10 rupees, I sat and waited for 2 rupees change and the tickets. 10 rupees is probably equivalent to 12p. He demanded 10 more rupees and looked like he wanted to attack me. I do not stand for this! And we continue for about 3 minutes arguing, neither of us back down. I am just so confused at his demands. The man next to me tells me he is joking around. Well he doesn't look like he is joking. Eventually he gives in and hands me my change and tickets. As I talk to Sam, he continues to shout at me. Almost 'OI,OI,OI' wanting to get my attention. Lucky we escape the short journey and hop off the bus and straight onto the back of an auto with our legs dangling. My legs touch the speed bumps as we drive over them. All in a mornings commute!


I've been struggling to fight off a stomach bug this week, with a loss of appetite and cramping pains. But my workshops and watermelons have kept me going.



The walls at the boys hostel continue to transform, this week I introduced the idea of creating bright abstract designs using masking tape. We were just so happy, at the end of the session when we pulled away the tape to reveal a beautiful work of art. The boys here are very respectable, they will always walk me the 15 minute walk back to the area where I catch my bus. They tell me it is not safe walking here alone.





The drama and art collaboration with Sam, which is to be a Noah's ark performance,is working so well with one group of kids, but 2 hours in a different direction me and Sam are having to adapt our ideas. We are having great fun. On the arty side of things, we have been making animal masks this week. And I know what you are thinking! More masks. Well, like a said before, masks are so exciting, and even I don't get bored of helping the kids make them. The masks this week turned out to be the most wacky and abstract animals on Noah's Ark.






I took a workshop with a group of kids at Arni, which as usual at Arni, is always abit chaotic. I wanted them to think about themselves and their identity. To think independently. So I made a worksheet first, which Eunice in the office had translated into Tamil. I wanted the kids to think about their personalities, things they are good at and what their dreams are. Certain kids got stuck in straight away, for other students, it was a struggle. Then with what they had written, I asked them to draw and decorate designs about themselves inspired by the worksheet. They all had a printout of their faces to work around. This was exciting enough. This was the first time they had been introduced to self-portraiture.






 I visited one of my favourite shops in Vellore during the week to pick up some pretty things for the girls to add to their bags. The shop is tucked down a teeny tiny side ally. The man sells jewellery, wool, quilling kits, door hangers and more, it is an Aladdin's cave of colour. It's exciting to see what he pulls out of each box.
The girls were extremely happy with my choice of designs, so we spent an hour learning how to use a needle and thread to sew. They took pleasure in this activity, some girls complete naturals, whilst others took more patience, with undoing and redoing stitches. What a great and important skill to learn though. And they will be so proud, with a boost to their self-esteem.



 Thursday, I took a day off work to join a 12km Eco Trail through the hills, which I was well in need of. Living in a city or town, especially an Indian town is mentally and physically exhausting. So I lept hard and heavy over a tree root. Everything comes in 3's. Last week it was my head, this week I fall, so what will be next?
Swarms of butterflies crossed the path, like nothing I had seen before. Hundreds and thousands. It was so magical, it was as though I had stepped into a fairytale.

 I headed to the tailors one evening and spent about half an hour rummaging through all of the cuttings and filling my bag. Ready for some collage fun.



 Friday, down at the learning disability school, we made fabric flowers. It's just magnificent. And when we sat this week making the flowers,the amount of times we said “Super!” was uncountable. Two brothers who are more able, when I turned round, had painted each others arms in PVA glue. Collage is really good for hand and eye coordination. We are all gaining a lot from the workshops I bring here. I am learning a lot about using art in a different way and for different needs, the staff are learning about the benefits of bringing art into the children's lives and the children are practicing different and concentrated skills and exploring these new materials, whilst really enjoying.





 To end this week, I will just tell you about my name. People seem to find it hard to pronounce my name. “What is your good name ma'am?” 
I am called 'Loozi' 'Loosa' 'Julie' 'Lossi' , I've never really had a nickname, so I really enjoy all these new and interesting takes on my name. And I just do my little head shake in confirmation.

Until next week, I'm off to the cinema... With spice from India, Loozi










No comments:

Post a Comment