Thursday 8 June 2017

Smiles and Transformations

 
Ideas have been formulated for the next couple of months, so watch this space for more updates. I shall be collaborating with Sam from UK in certain workshops. We found some massive sheets of polystyrene for one of the workshops. Carried them on the bus, covering a man in white pieces of poly dust and squeezed them into a shared auto. Only to realise talking to the teacher about our project proposal, we couldn't use this because it would poison the children. Oh no!

 
Let me tell you that I am becoming quite accustomed to being in India now. I am a pro at eating with my hands. So much so if someone offers me any kind of utensil, I frown and raise my hand to refuse this foreign object whilst nodding the head.
The Indian head nod. Stay long enough in India and you will do it without noticing. I do it a lot and more so now, and it's not till afterwards that I realise. I use it when I have understood, but can't reply. As a hello, as a goodbye. People understand straight away.

 
Walking the roads here I am surrounded by cows, stray dogs and pigs. Open sewers, broken pavements and drivers on all vehicles cutting in front of me. Even coming head on with a moped in slow motion, didn't really faze me.

I am used to fighting to get on the bus and being squashed like a sardine. The spicy food, the sweet tea, and the young men clicking their tongues at me. The heat has reduced to a bearable temperature, I apply coconut oil into my what seems to be thinning hair and I jump on the back of a moped without doubt.

A new friend, keeps saying I should have been born here. I'm quite a natural.

I still come into a trance when I witness a funeral, especially when I stand buying art materials. Massive bangers and fireworks are set off in the road, continuously followed by a beautifully decorated funeral car and walking drummers. Death is no taboo here and the louder the better, to scare off any bad spirits, so I'm told.

 
Schools officially opened on Wednesday. A trip to Arni and I felt a few nerves about starting up again. I needn't have been worried, because when we (Sam came to support me) reached Arni, only 20 students had turned up. This school is just unbelievable, and this is why I have such a connection with the students here, because they are experiencing such poor education.


The day turn out brilliantly. We gathered all 20 students ranging from Year 4 to Year 10, played some games, then whipped out the materials for mask making.

This workshop was just excellent. The kids were so patient as I manned the glitter and pompom station whilst Sam took to the elastic fastening.



 

 I love this photo above. For a number of reasons. I love his attitude, and when I showed it to the 97year old grandma I live with, she stuck out her tongue and went "RaaAHH!" like a real rockstar. I also love the fact that he has not pulled it down, so he can't even see! But yet he is so happy!

 
Humans can wear a mask and be totally transformed, all of the kids I have offered to make a mask with have been so excited by this activity. Even the adults want to make and wear them.

 
In the school grounds when we returned from lunch out, the kids walked around the dull school grounds, a flash of colour and joy on their faces.


 
The Girls Project is one thing I am most proud of setting up. I was lucky enough to be offered a Polaroid camera to use whilst here working with Seb's. I don't need to tell you how happy these girls where during this short workshop. Just see their happy faces in the photos. And see how happy they have made me.







 
After being away for a month, my house mother Jhansi has come up with some great quotes... After I told her that I was so full and couldn't eat any more. She slapped me on the back and said "Be Strong!"
And apparently she watched something on youtube, telling me... “farting is good for the heart!”



 
I also offended my maid love, by exposing the back of my thigh with a massive hole in my trousers that I hadn't noticed. She sent me upstairs to get changed. I had been travelling like this, fortunately no hands had tried to creep in! I probably shocked a few locals. Whoops.
 
Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. Another enjoyable and brilliant blog . Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vietnam is a great place to go to right now. Many people have gotten their Vietnam visa from www.greenvisa.io/ site and now, they will be travelling to Vietnam very soon.

    ReplyDelete