Sunday 9 April 2017

It's been WILD!

My maid love is currently laughing at me, because I am sitting writing this and my scarf is not only draped across my chest and shoulders, but all around the chair as well. I obviously look very funny.
 
It's possible to be a fishmonger everywhere!
 
So summer has begun, and even the locals are feeling the rise in temperature now, they say, “if we aren't coping, how are you coping?”
It's just all so sweaty. As I was leaning over my piece of paper in a workshop, I felt sweat roll down over my forehead, over my eyebrow and splat onto my work. Thankfully it wasn't on the students work. Gross!
I am told to drink tender coconut, men and women on the roadside sell hundreds of coconuts. I need to drink more as it's a great way to rehydrate and super tasty too. Plus the way they chop the coconuts is quite impressive.

So what makes it a WILD week? I have seen a lot of animals.
Dogs don't like me here, I already established that in the first few weeks. I am a large ghost passing through their territory. I can't count the amount of times I have been followed down the road by growling and barking stray dogs. Keep calm and ignore them.
One day as I reached Arni, I dump my bag on the bed in the dusty guest room to organise my materials. When I rat scurries out from under the pillow, across the bed and out of the window. I screamed.
I saw a reptile that looks like a dragon climbing the tree at Arni, as well as a wonderfully disguised lizard. The kids look at me in confusion. I guess it is like someone getting excited over pigeons in England.
There is the saying 'The early bird catches the worm.' Well, I saw the early bird trying to catch the massive cricket! The bird failed.
A mongoose ran across the road in the distance. Oh and a donkey.

 
Class 6 at Kings School and Class 7 and 8 at Arni experienced music madness this week. And I felt like I needed to lay in a cool dark room afterwards to process it. I chose a selection of Tamil, Hindi and Western songs. And let them mark make to the music. They tried individually and in groups. The art room at Arni became complete carnage, BUT it was creative carnage. They were really enjoying it. Probably the first time they have been given permission to express themselves so freely. And it was great because I could get some of the students to film and record it on camera whilst I supervised.

 
I remember doing something similar to this when I was at school. Although we had to choose the piece and spend what felt like hours breaking down the song and drawing it. I chose Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. It obviously made an impact, if I am working from this idea now.

 
The boys hostel project is a splash with colour. I don't have to do anything, just turn up with paint, suggestions and supervise. This is just how I wanted it to be. It's all about them!

 
Why else has this week been wild? Since I have been in India, I have met an English girl called Sam who is staying in India till July. She teaches drama in England, I suggested we try to collaborate together on an arts and drama workshop. One week she creates a dance with them, and second week we make masks for the dance.

Thursday with Class 6 at Arni, we attempted to do a dance to The Lion King 'Can't wait to be King!' A great start! Then perhaps loss of attention and rise in temperature, we took time out. Sam and I danced to the song, much to the amusement of the resting boys. As we improvised, we all turned wild becoming lion, elephants and birds. Probably not ready for the West End, but a lot of fun. Then to end the class we danced energetically to Tamil songs I have on my phone. So much for being sensible in the heat.

 
The Girls Project is one of my favourite things I have set-up. An absolute pleasure to be in the company of now 5 unique girls. We did wool weaving using paper plates. An hour and half passed without noticing. Only when I started to feel funny and light-headed, did we call it a day. What a pleasure!


 
Another great way to cool down is when a man gives you a block of ice with your bottle of water. Sam and I were both suffering after our exhausting day at Arni, short of water, we stopped at a shop where the man gave us a block of ice each. I think he meant for us to put with our drink, and looked startled when we just began rubbing the ice over our faces and arms and squealing in delight. I placed mine on my head. We were so happy and in ecstasy at the ice, as we strolled to the bus stop,and back to Vellore.

I received a nice parcel. Evenings can sometimes be long, especially when I can't sleep. I had requested a selection of cheap DVDs and medicine. I also received SURPRISE! Peanut M'n'M's WAHOO! I shared them with the family including Grandmother, completely forgetting she has little or no teeth. A little while later I noticed a sucked peanut sitting on a plate. Whoops, but at least Jhansi, my house mother enjoyed these after last week when I fed her the “horrible” dark chocolate. I love the honesty of Jhansi, she asked me to do a mehandi design on her hand. Afterwards she said she didn't like it and she would rather the design on my hand. Tough Love! Unfortunately she will have to look at it for the next 10days.


 
I visited my friend Romina on Saturday night, after she finished work at the hospital. She made me some traditional food from Bangalore and Mangalore. We talked and laughed in each others company. She has desperately been wanting me to teach her to bake cakes, but we never have time. While dinner was preparing we explored her cupboards and ended up making shortbread biscuits at 9.30pm at night. She was so happy!


 
Sunday I was invited to an engagement party with my Indian family. The lovely thing about it was that they wanted to dress me in a sari, with jewellery and bindi. I have been practising my mehandi designs, so whipped out the hand design that Indian mother is jealous of. You all know that I am a person who never wears black. Years ago someone said I didn't look like Lucy because I was wearing white. So to my surprise I was dressed in a black and gold sari for the function. Whilst everyone else dazzled in colour. Once the sari was fitted I walked with a penguin shuffle around the room. “Why are you walking like that? This is how you do it...” So all was well until I nearly tripped over myself between the car and the party. So much material, I have respect for these women who wear them daily. I think one of the most beautiful piece of clothing ever designed. As well as practical, once you know what your doing.

 
Buttermilk has entered my life as the summer season has begun and it's so tasty and refreshing. A watered down curd with salt, ginger/masala and fresh chopped coriander. Don't knock it till you try it.


3 comments:

  1. Another enjoyable blog which has left me with a smile on my face ! Love you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful writing again Lucy, makes me want to be there too. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing some great stuff Lucy, always make me smile x

    ReplyDelete